We raise rabbits for pets … breeding stock … and meat.
Often people ask “HOW can you eat rabbits????!!!” The answer is simple really “Eating rabbits is the same as eating poultry … goats … pigs … cattle…”
The following is how we process our rabbits. We are extremely humane and the rabbits are kept calm and quiet the whole time.
- We bring the rabbits to be processed away from the rest of the herd. We have a pen we use to put the whole group into … and a smaller pen nearby to put one rabbit in at a time into.
- One rabbit is placed into the smaller pen; using a 1.77 caliber BB gun or a 22, one pop behind the ear.
- The rabbit is hung by the back legs. A couple pieces of hay rope formed into a loop works well.
- Taking a sharp knife carefully cut through the fur around the hind legs and down towards the groin area. Cut around the butt hole, cutting through the tailbone as well.
- Work the skin (with your fingers) down the body towards the head.
- Cut off the head and hide. (set furs aside if you wish for curing)
- Very carefully hold the skin away from the stomach and cut through from butt hole to ribcage.
- Carefully pull all the intestines out of the body cavity.
- Rinse the carcass.
- Bag, label, & freeze.