MAKING CULTURED BUTTERMILK FROM SCRATCH
- Allow a cup of fresh raw milk to sit covered at room temperature until it has clabbered (will look almost like yogurt). Usually takes 2-3 days.
- Place ¼ cup of the clabbered milk in a pint mason jar (sterilized)
- Add 1 cup of milk (does not have to be raw milk at this point), cover, & shake to mix well.
- Allow to sit at room temp. until clabbered again.
- Repeat this transfer of sub-culturing several more times until the milk clabbers in only 24 hours. Taste a small amount to confirm that it is tart, thickened, and has no off flavors. It should taste tart but not bitter.
To make a quart of buttermilk with this culture, add 6 ounces of the buttermilk starter to a clean quart jar, fill with fresh milk, cover, shake to mix, allow to sit at room temperature until clabbered. (about 24 hours)
Use for cheese culture and for making pancakes, biscuits, and more J